Monday, December 18, 2006

Proud of my Daughter

I am so proud of my daughter (in a holy way).

I have contended for some time that the Gospel is less about hearing than it is about doing. James says "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." (James 1:22, NIV).

My daughter has spent the last several months knitting stocking hats for an orphanage in Ukraine. The effects cold weather they experience is lessened by the hats they wear. My mother-in-law taught her how to knit (I certainly didn't have a clue how to do it). She has enthusiastically kept up a good pace and finished about a dozen. I was sure she would do one or two then give up, but she stuck to it.

The hats are knitted out of your run of the mill yarn. It takes her an hour or so to knit a hat, which she often does while watching TV.

She is a doer of the Word rather than a mere hearer of the Word. It is one thing to hear about babies in Ukraine with cold heads, and it's quite another to actually take the time and effort to do something.

Let's not only hear the Word. Let's do it.

1 comment:

Roy said...

That is certainly something to be proud of. When we see the hand of God moving in our children, it is a heartwarming thing that makes you think that some of the work you have done to show them Christ has been fruitful.

Congrats. And keep nurturing that tender heart.