Tuesday, January 16, 2007

"Cram It"

(I know this title may be offensive to some. Get over it!)

Have you ever been force fed? I recall the "Lima bean incident of '99." For some reason of absurd parental power, I tried to force my three-year-old to eat a Lima bean. Needless to say, I got my fanny kicked by a three-year-old. Trying to force feed children, or anyone else rarely works. It accomplishes nothing other than to cause antagonism between the two parties. A stare-down ensues.

Why is it that some churches feel that it is their duty to cram the gospel down the throat of every person who comes through the doors?

My wife has heard associates say that they will never go to any church again because every time they have been to church they "cram it down my throat."

Whatever happened to building relationships with people? The church needs to show people who don't attend church that we are normal people. There is a stereotype that churches are only after two things: butts and bucks. Butts fill seats and inflate stats. Bucks line the pockets of the church.

Church, please, let's be real. Let's show people that we are normal. Let's quit trying to cram it down people's throats.

2 comments:

Roy said...

Go look at my third post on missional churches. It's not an intellectual exercise as much as it is a pattern of behavior driven by knowledge and motivated by love.

Sadly many churches lack the love.

bishopman said...

Here is a link to Rags' blog post.