Friday, February 2, 2007

No "Churchy" Answers

One thing that I cannot stand is the standard, pat, "churchy" answer. The answer to a question that runs like this: "We need to love God more," "We should read our Bible and pray." (Excuse me for a moment while I hurl.)

I have worked with teens and children in a church setting, along with adults, during my life. When we are in the midst of a Bible study, someone usually pipes up with one of these ridiculous answers.

I have declared any Bible study I lead to be a "No Churchy Answer Zone." No one is allowed to answer a question with a churchy answer. I want those I lead to get deeper than these superficial answers.

One of the problems is that the publishing companies (I will not mention any specifically) who publish these Bible studies and Sunday school material. Many of the questions that they write beg churchy answers. Take this one for example: "How can you practice leaning on God’s power, in that one area, this coming week?" The standard churchy answer will run: "I can read my Bible and pray every day," or "I can come to church." I am not discounting the role of Bible reading, prayer or church attendance, but can we not get beyond the superficial?

Let's get deeper in our faith. Let's ask questions that make us uncomfortable.

Instead of asking: "How can I show love to others?" let's ask: "How would you respond to a single mom with three kids who asked you for help?"

Vague and superficial questions keep our faith vague and superficial. Difficult questions cause us to stretch and reevaluate our faith.

No comments: