Wednesday, August 1, 2007

GRE Test Prep Continues

With only 13 days to go until I make my attempt to prove my worthiness for graduate school by taking the GRE, I am in overdrive for prep. My Kaplan Test Prep Book is smoking. Now that my teaching summer school has ended, I am able to devote more time.

I took a sample Quantitative Section (i.e. math) test and got 51 of 60 right. In looking back, I missed about 4 that were either because I didn't read the question carefully or made a stupid math error. That's the same types of things that I am constantly getting on my students for doing.

I have just started reading the Analytical Writing Section. One thing kind of struck me as funny. The second principle that Kaplan gives is to keep the essay simple. One should avoid being overly complicated. One should use simple words. I guess you could say that one should be pithy and avoid prolixity. In other words, don't use a lot of the words that the GRE insists that you know in the Verbal Section. One must know words like turgid, euphony, panegyric and torpor, but one must not use them when writing the essay for the test.

1 comment:

Roy said...

Short declarative sentences will carry you far, my loquacious friend.