Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Hung Out To Dry Part 2

One thing I have discovered about the sinking of a ministry ship. It seems to be harder are my wife than on me. I have long thought that ministry is tougher on the spouse rather than one "in the ministry." I was paid to worry about the church.

A spouse has to have an outside job, especially if it is a small church. The spouse is usually "required" to do just about everything in the church from playing the piano, teaching Sunday school, leading women's (or men's) ministry, cleaning, or whatever else the parishioners want.

When things go bad, the spouse may face some difficult times. She or he may be attacked by members. She or he may be blamed for failure.

My wife has suffered mightily through our ordeal. She has carried a burden that isn't hers. I have never thought that she had any responsibility in what happened. She was a wonderful help.

To you ministers, protect your spouse.

1 comment:

Roy said...

I think that ministry is always harder on the spouse, in good times and bad. They tend to be more sensitive to the backbiting and murmuring, and often have no means to deal with the issue.

Your advice is sound.