Tuesday, April 3, 2007

East Coast Bias, or West Coast Bias?

For years we have heard that there is an east coast bias in sports. In that east coast teams get more coverage than teams from the western US. Teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Duke, NY Giants, etc. get more coverage by the national media than the Dodgers, UCLA, Raiders, etc.

I would suggest that there is a definite west coast bias when it comes to the time of championship games. I was only able to watch the first half of last night's NCAA championship game. Advertisers wasted all that cash, because I never saw their commercials.

What moron puts a championship game on at 9:30 PM? What on earth are you thinking? Do you want me to watch it?

My kids were in bed an hour before the game the started. Do they want kids to watch? I can only assume the answer to be "no."

It's not just the NCAA. Major League Baseball starts the World Series games closer sunrise than sunset. The NFL gets it pretty close to right. They start the Super Bowl at about 6:30.

I can only see a west coast bias in this.

I felt like this poor yawning orangutan.

No comments: