Thursday, April 19, 2007

Revising and Extending My Comments

I listened to the complete message of Nina Gunter at the M7 Conference. She did say some good things about not beating our heads against the same walls. She talked about the need to know the context in which we minister. She said some good things about being forward thinking, especially in asking the question What kind of church are we leaving to our children? She also said that we should work together. She talked about being innovative and trying new strategies. She said that we should not get hung up on the method. All of these things, I can agree with.

The clip that is a couple blog posts below is kind of strange in that it seems to be a disconnected interjection. She does not expand on how these three challenges are really affecting the church.

It seems to be an unfortunate thing. I have done that in sermons. I have a thought that sounds good, but when it comes out of my mouth it really has nothing to do with what I was talking about. That seems to be the case here.

How is Calvinism and Reformed Theology a new challenge? Calvinism is only about 500 years old. Also, Calvinism is pretty much the same thing as Reformed Theology. When you search on "Reformed Theology" on Wikipedia, it redirects you to "Calvinism." How is the emergent church negatively impacting the church? I wish she would have expanding on this.

If you read, Dr. Mark Quanstrom's A Century of Holiness Theology, you will see that Calvinistic thought has been an issue in the Church of the Nazarene since the late 1910s and early 1920s. It certainly is not a "new" challenge.

The comments were not out of context, but it was a minor part of the message. I still don't see a Calvinist as a challenge. We are on the same team. The Baptist or Presbyterian is not my adversary. They are my teammate.

1 comment:

James Diggs said...

I agree with you that Nina’s statements did not make much sense, especially in the context of M7 where the Church of the Nazarene were reaching out to those that resonate with the emergent church