Monday, April 16, 2007

Marketing Jesus

I was thumbing through the catalog of a local Christian bookstore yesterday. I should not say "book," as there were few books. It was mostly cheesy junk. There were doormats, candle holders, wall hanging, jewelry, clothing, and so on.

My wife was looking over my shoulder and commented, "Does everything have to have a Bible verse on it?"

Everything had a cross, picture of Jesus or Bible verse (or some combination thereof). It is now possible to everything to furnish your home that is totally Christian. Pens, t-shirts, ties, etc. It was all there.

Is this something necessary? Or, is this a marketing scheme to line the pockets of those who produce this stuff?

Is Jesus something to be marketed like a car or insurance? Or, is he someone whom we should be sharing with others?

Sometimes, I think that we put this stuff out so people can see it, and we think I am wearing a Christian t-shirt, so I've done my part sharing Jesus.

1 comment:

Roy said...

the level of kitsch in Christian catalogs and stores makes me want to retch. I have been looking for a classy, old-looking Chi Rho for some time, and all I see is stuff that just looks cheesy.

It's almost overkill. No, it is overkill.