Saturday, June 23, 2007

Crisis?

I have to throw credit to the Reformed Poser for this one. This is an interesting article from Christianity Today.

I have read Relational Holiness by Thomas Jay Oord and Michael Lodahl and A Century of Holiness Theology by Mark Quanstrom.

I totally agree that there is an identity crisis in the Church of the Nazarene, as I have discussed previously in my blog.

I was born in the Church of the Nazarene, went to Nazarene Sunday school, was saved in the Nazarene church, was married in the Nazarene church, became an ordained minister in the Nazarene church. You get the picture. I am Nazarene through-and-through.

Having said all that, the church is drifting. My main concern (as I have said before, and will not reiterate at length here) is with methodology. We are stuck in a 1950s mentality in general. The one bright spot that see in the leadership of the church is Dr. Jerry Porter, referenced in the above linked article. If only three or four of the other General Superintendents had his courage and fortitude to speak the truth.

No comments: