Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I'm Fed Up With Talk Radio

Sports talk radio that is. One of our local stations broadcasts ESPN radio from early evening to early morning. It is the station where my dial is set during the day. I like the so-called conservative, right wing radio, which is no more biased than NBC, CBS or ABC.

It's the sports talk radio that grinds my last nerve. I won't mention names, but these guys and gals ramble on endlessly about rumors and other stuff. It is the perfect example of verbal diarrhea coupled with mental constipation. I have to turn it off before I kick the radio.

Guys, sports is not a life and death issue. I like sports as much as anybody. I'll watch or listen to any game (except soccer), but when the game is over it is over. Why do we need to rehash why Peyton Manning ran a 37 split left rather than a 47 split right, or whatever. Who cares?

The problem is that there are too many TV and radio stations who would be broadcasting dead air if these gas bags weren't gassing on.

I used to listen to a sports guy on the radio several years ago who ended each show with the statements, "Remember, sports is the toy section of life." More of these windy broadcasters would do well to remember that.

Get some perspective. Whether or not Kobe Bryant is a Laker next years or not does NOT matter. There are other things vastly more important than sports. It's a game.

No comments: