Friday, July 6, 2007

GRE Test Prep

As I mentioned some time ago in this space, I am planning (God willing) to go to grad school starting next spring (2008). In order to enter grad school, one has to jump through numerous hoops. One of those hoops is the Graduate Records Exam (GRE), which is basically to grad school what the SAT is to college. (Look, I made an analogy!)

I went out and purchased Kaplan's GRE study book. As I was studying yesterday, I came across the word "pedant," which means "someone who shows off learning." My immediate thought was, The person who came up with the GRE was pedant.

Oh well, the studying goes on. I just hope that when I finish grad school, I ain't no pedant.

2 comments:

Roy said...

Have you ever had the pleasure of meeting someone who is very pedantic? http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pedantic

I've had profs and just people I have met who cannot speak in common English. I have little use for them.

bishopman said...

Yes! Ugh!

I've also started reading books by pedantic authors. Rarely have I finished them, unless I have had to.