Sunday, July 1, 2007

Spiritual Growth and Pain

I remember playing football in junior high. Everyone was hollering, "No pain, no gain." Later, in high school, I ran cross country and track. I was not a naturally gifted runner. I was more of a plodder. I ran, and ran, and ran. I ran in the cold winter. I ran in the hot summer. I did not take a day off.

Paul compares the Christian life with a race on several occasions: Acts 20:24; 1 Corinthians 9:24; Galatians 2:2; Galatians 5:5; and 2 Timothy 4:7.

If you have ever taken up the sport of running (or jogging) you know that when you start out, it hurts. Your legs are like lead for a few days when you start. When you feel better, you might push yourself to a higher level. Then there is more pain.

Spiritual growth without pain is like running without pain. It's not possible. If spiritual growth does not cause our spiritual muscles to hurt, we need to question whether or not we are growing.

When God calls us to some deeper level of commitment, we are uncomfortable at first. The first time I ever visited a homeless mission, I was out of place. It was spiritually painful. When God called me to the ministry, I was painful.

I often shy away from pain: physical and spiritual.

God help us all to work through the pain of growth.

No comments: