Thursday, February 7, 2008

A Few Thoughts on Being Responsible

I am going through a "grumpy old man" phase right now. As my profile indicates, I teach developmental math in a community college. I love my job. I love teaching. (Can you see the "but" coming?)

However, I am more and more concerned about the lack of personal responsibility that students have or take. (I could probably blow up the Blogger server with the amount of space required for all the stories.) I have a couple examples.

First, instead of collecting paper homework, I require homework to be done on-line through a service offered by the textbook company. I have had students whine about doing homework that way before, mostly because they are either cyber-phobic or they whine about everything. This semester I have one student who has offered numerous complaints. They range from the internet connection being slow to not having time. Tough. Use the open lab at school, or make time or whatever. Just do it. If someone did not have paper access, I would not let them off the hook (if I were requiring paper homework).

Another is test related. You must have an excused absence (doctor's note, court summons, etc.) in order to make up a test. Here is how the conversation goes:

Student: When can I make up the test?
Me: Do you have an excused absence?
Student No, but I was sick.
Me: Do you have a doctor's note.
Student: No, but I was sick.
Me: I am sorry to hear that, but you need a doctor's note to make up the test. That is what the syllabus says.
Student: But...
Me: I am sorry.
Student: So, it's a zero.
Me: Yes.

Like I said, there are more. As a parent, my instinct is to try to rescue my kids when they are in trouble, but I have to learn to let them learn life lessons. Our actions have consequences. If I run full speed into a brick, what will happen? I want to do it and not get hurt. The reality is, despite what I really want to happen, I will get hurt. Actions have consequences, no matter how we wish they did not.

No comments: