Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Trusting God

Trusting God is one of the hardest things for must of us to do. We like to make sure we have all our bases covered. It does not really matter what it is. We fuss and worry about finances. We do everything possible to protect our kids. The thing is that the more we do this--the harder we hold onto these things--the harder is for us to give them to God. I will give you a personal example.

When I pastored our little church, I wanted to see it grow, naturally. I analyzed the data--giving patterns, attendance patterns, visitor patterns, etc.--to see where we had been and where we might go. I read books on church management, church growth, outreach and the like. Often God had to shake me up and say Wait a minute! Who's in charge here? What are you trusting in? Me or something else?

It is easy to get caught up in trusting other things.

Jesus talked about childlike faith. We need to have unreserved faith in our God to take care of us. When my daughter was younger she used stand on the couch. She would leap with all her might toward me. In mid-air, she would holler out, "Catch me, daddy!" She had absolute faith in me that I would catch her. Thankfully, I caught her. We need to leap with the faith that God will catch us.

No comments: