Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Oil and Gas Companies Making Record Profits? -- Good

I, for one, am glad that the oil companies are making profits, and big profits. "Why? Are you crazy?" you ask.

Simple, I own them. No, I am not some big tycoon, but I am an owner of the oil companies. It is likely that you are, too.

I have some mutual funds for my retirement. Yesterday, I received the annual report in the mail. As part of my mutual fund, I own shares in Chevron and Exxon Mobil. So if they make a profit, so do I, which means more money for me when I retire.

I also own shares in evil pharmaceutical companies: Abbott Labs, Eli Lilly, Merck, and Pfizer, among others. So when they make a profit, it helps me.

If you have a retirement account such as a 401(k), IRA, 503(b), or whatever, you likely own shares in companies that make huge profits. If your account does not own shares in these type of companies, you should probably move your money elsewhere.

I encourage you to take a look at the annual report and see which companies you own. Remember the next time you curse how much they make, you are reaping a part of their profits. So, if they make less, you make less.

1 comment:

Roy said...

Bring it on. While they are benefiting from a shortage of refining capacity, they are also hamstrung by a bevy of environmental laws that make it extremely difficult to build a new refinery. This will pass in a few years as refinery expansions come on line. But my IRA is enjoying it.