Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Problem With the GOP

I was born a Republican. I have voted Republican in nearly every election (I have voted for a few Democrats). The Republican Party is doing its best to alienate me. I grew up with Ronald Reagan as my president, even though I was too young to vote for him. (I did vote for him in the mock elections we had in school.)

The thing Ronald Reagan is that he inspired people to be great, but not with the help of government. Reagan's vision was a country where the government was less intrusive. He sought to cut taxes and reduce the size and scope of the government. Sure, he was not as successful as he had hoped.

Modern day Republicans bear no resemblance to Reagan. Reagan would be horrified at the big government Republicans. There are no major Republicans advocating Reagan's vision. They are intent on passing new laws. When Barry Goldwater went to Washington as a senator from Arizona, he sought to repeal laws.

John McCain is not a small government Republican. But then neither were any of the Republican contenders, with the exception of Ron Paul, and perhaps Fred Thompson.

I have no idea who I will vote for. It sure will not be Obama or Clinton. McCain does not have my vote. I may leave it blank or vote third party.

Wake up, Republicans, or become a permanent historical party, just like the Whigs.

No comments: