Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Stupidity Tax

I know that I have ranted about taxes a lot in the past few months, but have you ever thought it would be a good idea to have a tax on stupidity?

The thing is that most states already have one: the lottery.

The state tells us that we can become instant millionaires by picking the right numbers. Millions of people line up and pick their numbers. How many of them actually win? Not very many. The odds of winning Powerball is 1 in 146,107,962. That means that if you purchased two tickets per week (there are two drawing per week), you would have to play for over one million years before you were statistically "guaranteed" to win.

If that is not a tax on stupidity, I do not know what is.

By the way, the government used to call this "running numbers" when the mob did it. It was also illegal. I guess it is different when the government makes the money off it.

2 comments:

Roy said...

If you ran a private pension the way social security is operated, you would be in jail. You can't use pension contributions to pay current bills, but they do it.

bishopman said...

Don't get me started on Social Security. I don't think blogger would have the server space to hold my gripe with that ripoff.