Sunday, July 30, 2006

Feeding the hungry

Our last official act as the pastor of our church was to serve lunch at the community shelter. Our new church is eager to pick up the torch here, which is great.

Jesus spoke about feeding the hungry when we talked about the sheep and goats. His brother, James wrote about faith in action using the example of feeding the hungry. In effect, James says that we are useless to God when we tell a hungry person, "Good luck with your food search." How useless is that? It doesn't do one single thing to fill their stomach.

My goal is to be someone who is used by God. What good am I if I stay locked up in the church never to touch the people that are hurting and hungry.

I want to share this with my kids. We took them. It was great. They were great. They loved it. They really liked helping others. My daughter commented how much she appreciated what she had.

I have never met anyone who wasn't moved or affected by helping those in need. I've never heard anyone that didn't want to help again.

1 comment:

Roy said...

Good for you for taking the time to teach your children to serve. As you have said before, it's more about being the church than going to the church. And you are training your kids to inculcate virtue into their lives.

Well Done.