Thursday, July 27, 2006

An Incredible Journey

I just finished Donald Miller's book Through Painted Deserts. I had previously read Blue Like Jazz and Searching For God Knows What. I really enjoyed both of those books. I love Miller's style. I showed someone his Searching For God Knows What book, and the person flipped through it, and said, "He has a relaxed writing style." I agree. It's so easy. He draws you into the book.

If you are contemplating reading Blue Like Jazz, read this book first. It sets the stage. It's a prequel of sorts. Actually it's a rewrite of his first book Prayer and the Art of Volkswagen Maintenance.

In the book, Don and his friend Paul set out from Houston (Don's hometown) in 1971 VW van (the hippie van). They find all kinds of adventure. They meet some very interesting people along the way. They talk about life, girls, and everything.

I found myself wishing I could hop in an old VW van and hit the road for three months. I highly recommend this book, or the other two that I've read. I haven't read To Own a Dragon yet, but if it's anything like these I should be a great read.

I guess I should tell you what I learned from the book. Well, basically I have come to realized (although not entirely through this book) that the real issues of life aren't what we always think they are. As Miller says, we spend so much worrying about the how of life that we neglect the why of life. It's not about how I can get ahead, but why am I here and what does God want to do with me? Tough question with no easy answers.

No comments: