Friday, June 20, 2008

The End of the Season

My son played his last baseball game of the season last night. My daughter's softball season ended last week. (I am not sure what we are going to do with our evenings now.)

When the kids play sports, it always turns my thoughts toward teamwork. In many cases, teamwork is a lost art. One can see it all the time. There is always that one kid on the team that is is so much better than the other kids. He fields the ball at third and runs down the batter on his way to first, rather than throwing the ball to the first baseman. It happens to adults as well, which is one reason I cannot stand to watch the NBA.

Anything that is worthwhile, is a team effort. It took an army of scientists for us to reach the moon. It took an army of men to bring about the American Revolution. We had George Washington on the military side. We had Thomas Jefferson on the philosophical side. Even great "individuals" in history had help. Martin Luther had his Philipp Melanchthon. John Clavin had his Theodore Beza.

This is what Paul talked about in First Corinthians 12. None of us can accomplish anything of significance on our own. Even something as mundane as tying our shoes was once terribly difficult without the assistance of a loving parent.

I guess I just waxing philosophical after the conclusion of another sports season.

1 comment:

Roy said...

Wax on, wax off grashopper.

I coach a 9-10 yo girls softball team and I see a little of that. I have repeatedly told them that they each have a job to do and they have to trust their teammates. You field the ball and make a good throw, and trust the other girl to catch your throw.

I see that in the church too. I'm an assistant pastor and people bring all sorts of stuff to me that isn't my job. I gently point them to the right person and keep going with my work. But its not easy.