Thursday, June 5, 2008

The NBA Finals

Normally, I would not even bother to mention the upcoming NBA Finals (yawn!). This year, we are told that it is a "special" finals because the Lakers are playing the Celtics. We are treated to grainy images of the smooth Magic Johnson and the raggy-headed Larry Bird wearing their short shorts while facing each other in any of the numerous Finals in which they played in the 1980s. (I grew wondering why they even bothered to play the the regular season because it was always the Lakers and Celtics.)

Now, we are faced with the marketing blitz that it's the 1980s again. There are two things that will get me excited about this series:

1. If Larry Bird and Magic Johnson--along with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Robert Parrish, Kevin McHale and James Worthy--show up to play.

2. If they started at time that I could watch the whole game without subsequent sleep deprivation.

As far as I am concerned, the NBA is irrelevant.

1 comment:

Roy said...

Not only is it irrelevant, it's boring. I could barely bring myself to watch the Pistons/Celtics series. College basketball is a much better product.