Monday, June 23, 2008

Reaganomics Worked

Ronald Reagan has been called many things by his detractors. His economic policies have been called: voo-doo economics, trickle down economics and Reaganomics. The 1980s have been called the "decade of greed" when the "rich got richer and the poor got poorer." I am here to tell you, first hand, that those characterizations of the 1980s are complete bunk.

My family has never been rich. My mother had an eighth grade education (she has since earned here GED), and my dad has a two-year degree. They have worked hard all their lives, and still do to this day. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, our family was in financial trouble. I really do not remember it too much, but in looking back, it was pretty bad. I was in early elementary school at the time, so my parents did not exactly include me in financial discussions.

At one point, when my dad was out of work, we were nearly homeless. We had to sell our house fast, and we moved an old house. I remember walking around town collecting aluminum Coke cans so we could sell them. My mom and I did this while my dad was at the unemployment office. Couple that with the stagflation that is Jimmy Carter's real legacy, and we were in dire straits.

Everyone seems to forget that lovable old Habitat for Humanity codger, namely James Earl "Jimmy" Carter hurt numerous families with his failure in the White House. Thanks to President Carter, my family was nearly on the streets.

Enter President Ronald Wilson Reagan. His brilliant policies, allegedly to benefit the rich, benefited all Americans. By the end of the 1980s, my family was much better off. We were not wealthy, but we had more wealth. We were in a better position financially.

Reaganomics worked. Anyone who tells you anything else is out of their mind.

This nation owes a great debt of gratitude to our fortieth President. He cleaned up a huge mess. I just wish we had a candidate like him to vote for this year.

No comments: