Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What Can You Afford?

In a time of inflation, such as we have now with rising gas and food prices, the media often trot out sympathetic folk who complain about the fact that they cannot afford food, gas, etc. While I empathize those who suffer financial burdens (we all do, to one extent or another), I am a bit dubious about some the claims made by these people. Call me skeptical.

About ten years ago, while my beautiful bride and I were youth leaders, this point came home to me. The issue came up at the church related to babysitting. The church was planning an adults only function, and said that youth of the church volunteer their services to babysit. We offered the suggestion that families could pay a nominal fee (something like a buck or two per child) to help fund the youth group trip we were planning. Someone spoke up that many of the families could not afford the pittance. Many of these families had no trouble supplying their children with money for movies and snacks, and other recreational activities.

We came to this conclusion: People can afford what they want. In America, people can pretty much afford anything they want. (Sure, most people cannot afford a private jet or something wildly extravagant.) Most households have at least one car (often two or more), a couple TVs (often hooked up to DVD players, VCRs and cable TV), and so on.

I am tired of everyone being a victim. I am not a victim. I pay the same (rising) prices for gas and food as everyone else. Our family has made adjustments to deal with it. We do not drive nearly as much as we used to. We do not eat out as much. We do not have cable/satellite TV. Sometimes we just have to make due with what we have.

No comments: