Friday, November 3, 2006

The Church's Role in Society

One of the big problems that I have with most churches is that they have a "come-and-see" approach to touching the community. Come to "Friend Day." Come to the Christmas program. Come to the potluck. Come to the Halloween party (or alternative). Come to this function or that program. There is very little "go-and-tell." (Now when I refer to go-and-tell, I am not refering to the guy who stands on the corner shouting damnation into a megaphone.)

There is resistence to getting our hands dirty dealing with "those kinds of people." Jesus told us to "go into the world," not "wait for the world to stumble in your door."

We are so busy with all these programs at the church building that we don't have time to be the Church out in our communities. I have been saying for some time, in relation to church activities, "less is more."

(Just a brief rant while I'm bored, sitting a computer lab.)

No comments: