Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Egads! Part Two

Michael Richards' (aka Kramer) episode last weekend really illustrates our need to tame our tongue. Who of us has not spouted something that we later wished could be erased from the memory of those that heard it? If I had a nickel for every stupid thing I said ...

The Apostle James reminds us, "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry" (James 1:19).

Slow to speak means that we must be careful of the words we choose. This is true no matter what the conversation may be about. I remember some advice I received as a child: count to 10 when you are angry before you say something. That would be good advice for any of us. Don't get caught up in the heat of the moment. Slow down. Think about what you are going to say and how it will impact those that hear it.

1 comment:

Roy said...

Oh how I wish it were that easy! That is a work of the Spirit in my life. I've chewed on my feet many a time because of my intemperate tongue. Sound advice my friend. I see Richards is on the apology circuit now. Letterman, Jesse Jackson, probably Oprah next week. Sad but predictable.