Sunday, November 5, 2006

People Are Going To Do It Anyway

I am always astounded by people who say that: "People are going to do it anyway."

It is usually used in conjunction with teenage sex, abortion or drug use. The logic runs this way: Teens are raging with hormones; they want to have sex; they are going to have sex; we have to make it "safe" for them. You could substitute abortion or drug use.

Let's carry this logic out. People want to drive drunk. People are going to drive drunk. Forget about stopping them. They are going to do it anyway. People are going to rob banks. Husbands are going to beat their wives. People are going to kill other people.

If we are going to use that logic, why can't I do whatever I want to whomever I want?

We live in a society of laws and morals (in theory anyway). We have standards. I don't accept the fact that my kids are going to "bed-hop" when they are teenagers. I pray they don't. Why do we have to accept certain behaviors just because?

1 comment:

Roy said...

Because we did them and don't want to appear hypocritical? (Baby Boomer Thought Process) You raise a good question, but have a fatal flaw. You cannot use logic when discussing people's actions. You MUST talk about feelings and intent, not actions. Just ask John Kerry.