Monday, November 20, 2006

Don't Rock the Boat, Don't Rock the Boat

Someone recently quoted me a stat that made my head spin. Dr. Jerry D. Porter, General Superintendent of the Church of the Nazarene stated that over one-half of pastors quit within the first five years of pastoring.

I am close to that category. I pastored for 3 1/2 years. I have not decided to give up permanently, but I have seriously considered it.

This trend disturbs me greatly. It seems (from personal experience, not scientific study) that most pastors who remain in the position for years and years are ones who do not rock the boat. They play maintenance man (or woman). They keep the flock happy, content to report growth that comes mainly from other churches. When times get a little rocky, they pack up and go somewhere else.

The pastors who desire to make changes are badgered until they submit to the tyranny of tradition or are run out of town.

In my experience, we were threatened with pay cuts to toe the line. We held firm, and everyone just bailed out.

The problem is both from the congregation and the denominational leadership. The tyranny of tradition is killing the church. We must do things the way we have always done them. If it doesn't work, just try harder. Don't dare think of doing something new or different.

My advice: if you want to stay in the pastoral "biz" for a long time, don't rock the boat. If you truly want to purse ministry, perhaps non-traditional ministries are the place for you.

No comments: