Thursday, November 30, 2006

Why do we want to be liked?


I guess it's a natural thing for us to want to be liked by others. I don't want anyone to hate me. I don't want to do something to make people hate me.

But, there are way too many thin-skinned Christians out there whining and moaning about the lack of a "Merry Christmas" greeting. Are we so insecure in our relationship with God that we feel the need to have our faith validated by Wal-Mart or Target or Joe's Shoe Shop?

Jesus told his apostles, the night before he was crucified, "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you." (John 15:18-19, NIV).

Look, my fellow Christ-followers, the world doesn't like us. It never has and never will. That doesn't mean we should be self-loathing or anything, but we must realize that the world hates us because it first hated our Master, Jesus Christ.

Why are we so worked about whether this store or that store employee tells us "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." Should we not be in the business of telling them about Jesus? Jesus ("the Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace") is why we celebrate this season. We should be more concerned that others hear that message than that we get our ears tickled by "Merry Christmas."

By the way, "Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Season's Greeting" to you.

No comments: