Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Observations about School Lunch

I have a few observations from our trek today to eat lunch with our first grader:

School lunches are just as awful as when I was in school. The food is terrible. They cook stuff that the kids don't eat.

Starch is the name of the game. I consumed some fish-like substance that was breaded. It was in a bun. And I had French fries. It definitely isn't Atkins-friendly.

In the absence of starch, there is grease. (We used to call the school hamburger "grease bombs.") One of the choices today was hot dogs with chili. (What kid eats chili dogs?) As I glanced through the sneeze guard I saw a grease puddle in the "chili" that made the Exxon Valdez look like nothing.

Most of the kids pitched at least half their food.

On another note: The "Teacher of the Year" parking space was vacant, which makes me wonder why he or she was gone.

2 comments:

Roy said...

Maybe the Teacher of the Year went out for lunch? Mercifully I didn't have hot lunch at school until middle school. I do remember finding cigarette ashes on my pizza once though. That pretty well ended the food for that day. After all, it was the 1970's.

bishopman said...

I ate hot lunch some in 1st grade, then took my lunch through the 6th. In middle school, I wanted to eat hot lunch like everyone else. In high school I bought the PB&J, chips and iced tea.