Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Big Wind Down

The semester is winding down. This time it is on two fronts for me: teaching and studying.

As far as teaching goes, the semester has been incredibly average. Nothing great, but nothing awful. I did make a student cry, today. With finals coming up next week, I gave each student a note letting them know what they need to make on the final to get their desired grade (A, B, or C). Some students have no chance. One who has no chance left the room crying. I tried to console this student, but to no avail. I feel terrible about it, but I am not a magician.

This also concludes my first semester as a graduate student, but only attempting one class. The thing I loved about this class: no tests. The thing I did not like: fuzzy expectations (we never received a syllabus). I have to turn in my final review essay by next week. I just have to take the chainsaw to it, as it is ten pages rather than the suggested five to eight pages.

The light is at the end of the tunnel, and it is the summer sun.

No comments: