Thursday, April 3, 2008

This Amazes Me

Perhaps I am a little late to the new wave of technology, but I am amazed. For my 20th Century European History class, we have to do research on a sub-topic (mine is anti-Semitism). We are to look at secondary sources--academic articles and monographs--but no primary sources--archival material, etc. I have managed to compile a long list, which I am trimming down to the assigned number of sources.

That is not what amazes me. The thing that amazes me is that I have not set foot in a library anywhere to do this project. I have not been to the university library, the public library or any other library. I have done all the research on-line. I have downloaded numerous articles, or had them e-mailed to me via inter-library loan. Both of the monographs that I am considering are available on-line through the university library's collaboration with NetLibrary.

Like I said, perhaps I am late to the party, but it amazes me. When I was an undergraduate, I practically lived in the school library.

No comments: